What Are Carbon Offsets?
We are all contributors to pollution in some way and the two biggest polluters in day-to-day life includes gasoline powered vehicles and using fossil fuel or coal in power generation.
Even daily activities like grocery shopping leaves carbon footprint. Regardless of how fresh or organic your purchases are, everything has to undergo some form of processing as this ensures their safety, proper packaging and shipment to your local market or grocery store. Other purchases such as canned or bottled goods also undergo processing and packaging before they reach the shelves.
All of these undoubtedly produce greenhouse gas emissions.
How Carbon Offsets Help Reduce Our Carbon Footprints
There is no way for an individual or business to cut carbon emissions completely. However, you can ensure you invest in a project that reduces future emissions or removes greenhouse gases from the atmosphere.
This is called carbon offsetting and credits are used to fund projects or programs that actively engage in the work of carbon reduction. Such projects include reforestation efforts, methane capture programs at landfills and waste facilities, industrial pollutant destruction, agricultural soil management and the effort to further advance energy efficient technologies.
How You Can Contribute to Carbon Offsets Efforts
Many might think that only large organisations can contribute to carbon offsets but individuals and even small businesses can contribute to this endeavour.
One of the simplest ways for business to be less carbon intensive is to switch from a fossil fuel base business to a greener alternative such as GasHub’s Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG).
LNG can benefit businesses in ways such as:
- Reducing Carbon Footprint – Emitting almost no environmentally-damaging Sulphur dioxide and 30% less carbon dioxide than fuel oil.
- Reduces Energy Costs – Greater savings at 20% off your current Town Gas or LPG bill.
- Versatile & Reliable – Easy to transport; many uses as a fuel for heating, power generation and industrial processes in its gaseous state; and there are gas resources around the world lasts for more than 200 years
- Safe for Daily Use – Only combusts in air-to-fuel proportions of 5 to 15%; auto-ignition will only be possible at approximately 540℃.
- Cleaner Source of Energy – Shrinks in volume by 600 times when cooled to -162℃, forming into a clear, colourless, odourless, non-toxic, and non-corrosive liquid; leaves no ground or water residue.
While LNG and carbon offset projects do not completely prevent emissions being released into our environment, these provide some relief to know that there are projects to offset our daily activities.
GasHub provides solutions for many industries and homes in Singapore. If you are in the market for a more cost-effective and cleaner energy, GasHub can help reduce your energy costs while reducing your carbon footprint. To learn more about how GasHub can help your business, talk to us today!